It is a long time since I wrote part 1. This is what happens when I don’t get paid; all incentive to do the subsequent jobs fade away. Then of course when I do finally get paid, the work has to be rescheduled. In the mean time I have a hundred and one other jobs to do and the weeks roll by. The other side of not getting paid of course is that I can’t buy food, or pay my bills, but that whole concept fails to register with many of my customers!
Anyway, I digress (as usual). So in part one I got to the point where the bases could be welded. As you can see below, I have totally reformed and trnasformed the under side of the casting.
Another classic bodge job is just bolting a caster on when the big tilt stem has been lost. The caster was held on with a 10mm bolt, the hole in the casting for the tilt stem is 19mm. I find it staggering that anyone would think that that was going to work.
There is little that I can do with the resulting damage. Fortunately, the casting is thick and the thread is coarse, so after re-tapping the holes, replacement tilt stems works well. Easy job really if you have the equipment and the parts. If you don’t have either, they shouldn’t be doing the job!