I have two drum hoops off a military marching snare drum to be restored. This is one of those open ended jobs that has been underway for a while.
As can be seen from the picture above, one hoop was bare wood, presumably stripped to be repainted which I have subsequently primed. The second hoop is broken and obviously needs to be made whole again.
It is often tricky clamping things together whilst they are being glued – creativity is needed with the clamping arrangements.
This simple repair of glueing the ends back together is essentially a butt joint. It is sufficiently strong to hold the hoop round again, however it will probably break again as soon as any force is applied. Because I already have to repaint the other hoop, I decided to insert a new section of wood across the break as reinforcement creating a lap joint which is a lot stronger.
Then it was just a matter of painting. In order to get a good colour match, and to achieve gradual decoloration over time I used oil based paints, the same that I would use for painting pictures. It is a nice medium to work with because I can vary the shade subtly and create a more aged look with ingrained dirt. The problem is that different pigments have different drying times, so care needs to be taken as to which colour goes on top. In any case it took over a week for each colour to dry, so the whole painting process was a long one.
Like any of these jobs, I learnt a lot and would do things differently next time. I had major issues holding the hoop whilst painting, and initially I used the wrong type of brush. It is one of those end results that is only okay; I can live with it, but it is not perfect.
However, it doesn’t need to be perfect, because the final stage of the process is antiquing. The customer does not want a hoop that looks brand new, it needs to look old and “period”. So once I have a painted hoop, I can start removing that paint, and applying grime effects to replicate the bashes, knocks and handling of a hundred years of use.